Wednesday 22 June 2016

Why are we doing Ride Don't Hide 2016?

Ride Don’t Hide cycling fundraiser invites Peel residents to support mental health agency

Brampton Guardian
In 2011, Brampton’s Karen Clouter was morbidly obese and weighed some 555 lbs. She experienced depression, anxiety and low self-esteem. A gastric bypass surgery in 2012 and adopting a healthy lifestyle resulted in the Brampton woman losing more than 278 lbs. 
Today, Clouter, a visual artist/ author/singer, is a mental health advocate supporting the Centre for Mental Health Association (CMHA) Peel.
“In the time when I was obese, I really struggled,” she shared. “Now, I am healthier and I have a life. Before, I hid my depression in my body. I find many people struggle with mental health and may not be aware, CMHA Peel is such a fantastic organization that opens its arms and hearts to everyone. Their programs are so vital to the community.”
On Sunday, June 26, Clouter will join former NHL veteran Shawn Antoski and 300 other cyclists from Peel and beyond in Caledon as part of CMHA’s annual Ride Don’t Hide. The event takes place at the Lloyd Wilson Centennial Arena, 5551 McLaughlin Rd., Inglewood at 7 p.m.  
Cyclists will tackle four picturesque routes in Caledon as part of the 100-kilometre ride. There are shorter routes of 50, 25, 20 and 5K and mini-rides for families.
Antoski, who played pro-hockey for eight years before a horrific car crash ended his career, will speak to the cyclists about experiencing – and surviving – depression.
“I battled depression that was brought on by different factors, one of which was my pro-hockey career,” said Antoski. “It finally caught up with me. I lived with physical pain daily. I had this ‘Superman’ label where people began saying there was nothing that could keep me down and that I could overcome anything. The things that I endured were things that caught up post-career.”
His mental health problems escalated when some people accused him of faking his injuries to seek attention. He shut down and completely withdrew.
Antoski founded Fear Nothing, a foundation to help not just individuals experiencing mental illness, but to include people that are part of their support system.
“I want to tell people that are around those struggling with mental health that you can’t just stand there and watch, you’ve talk about these things,” he said. “It affects everybody. Fear Nothing was created so as to have an understanding from every perspective. I want to tell people there’s hope and not to give up…”
"We have a long way to go before people experiencing a mental illness are as accepted in society as those with a physical illness," said CMHA Peel CEO David Smith.
“We’re seeing a difference in attitudes as more people join the Ride Don’t Hide movement to end stigma in their community each year,” he said. “Ride Don’t Hide is a great opportunity for the community to come together and say mental health is important to me, and it’s ok to talk about it.”
CMHA Peel’s goal is to raise $70,000 for local mental health programs initiatives. For more information visit here or call 905-451 2123.

No comments :

Post a Comment